Local Elections 2021
On Thursday, 6 May 2021 an election will be held to elect your representatives for Greatworth and Halse Parish Council. The Council consists of nine Councillors, seven represent the Greatworth ward and two represent the Halse ward and you could be one of them.
Could you be a Parish Councillor?
Parish Councillors are champions of their community – they give residents a voice in the decisions their Parish Council makes. Seeing your community change for the better as a result of decisions you have helped make can be very rewarding.
If you care about your community and would like to help make a real difference then this opportunity is for you. You will be supported in your role and provided with training – you should be comfortable working electronically, have a positive outlook and be willing to work as part of a team.
If you want to stand as a Candidate in the Parish Council election there are certain qualifications that you must meet. You must be:
- 18 years old or over; and
- a UK or Commonwealth citizen
AND at least one of the following must apply:
- you are an elector for the Parish and continue to be an elector (i.e. you are listed on the Clerk’s most recent copy of the Electoral Roll); or
- have resided in the Parish for the past twelve months or rented/tenanted land in the Parish; or
- have your principal or only place of work in the Parish for the past twelve months; or
- have lived within three miles of the Parish for the past twelve months.
There are certain disqualifications for being a parish councillor, of which the main are:
- holding a paid office or employment under the Parish Council; or
- bankruptcy; or
- having been sentenced to a term of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) of not less than three months, without the option of a fine during the preceding five years; or
- being disqualified under any enactment relating to corrupt or illegal electoral practices.
Candidate nomination papers must be submitted to SNC by 4pm 8th April 2021. If you are interested, please contact the Clerk for more information (email@example.com. 01295 698336). Greatworth and Halse Parish Council meets at 7:30pm, the first Monday of every other month (there is no meeting in August); at present all meetings are being held virtually.