The Transparency Code
In December 2014 the government issued the Transparency Code for smaller authorities, designed to meet the Government’s need for greater transparency for public bodies. It applies to all Parish Councils with an annual turnover of less than £25,000 and requires the following documents to be published regularly:
- Full agendas for formal meetings no later than 3 clear days before the meeting.
- Draft minutes of formal meetings no later than 1 month after the meeting:
- Details of every item of spending of £100 or more showing the date, purpose and amount: this information is detailed in the Finance Report and minutes of each meeting.
All of the above documents can be accessed on the Parish Council Meetings page. For each financial year the Council must also publish:
- the Notice of Public Rights
- the Certificate of Exemption (applicable for 2017-18 only)
- all items of expenditure above £100
- the signed Annual Internal Audit Report
- the signed Annual Governance Statement
- the signed Annual Accounting Statement (end of year accounts)
- the Explanation of Variances
- the Bank Reconciliation
- the signed Notice for Completion of Audit from the External Auditor (will not be available until September 2019)
- a list of the council’s assets: Asset register
- Names of all Councillors and their responsibilities within the council.
This information must be published by 1st July each year and must be published electronically.
The above links are for the 2018-19 financial year. To see the same documents for 2016-17 and 2017-18 please click here.